Put On a Cleavage Necklace and Smile!

Style Jan 04, 2012 22 Comments

My friend is doing a much better job of demonstrating.

We all have those days where we don’t feel our best. We wake-up feeling fat, bloated, exhausted, or with deep bags under our eyes. The drool stains can be washed off our cheeks and the imprint of the sheet will ware off eventually. But we still don’t feel like facing the world.

Whenever I’m feeling bloated or PMS-y I try to make myself feel good by playing up what’s working. Five extra pounds at a certain time of the month usually goes to one place. Ok, two, but everything emphasizes my butt. The bloat calls out for accessories. Enter the cleavage necklace.

It can be a chain that hits the right spot when paired with a boat neck, or pendant that hangs inside the V-neck. But my personal favorite is single strand that drops down into the place where cleavage would be if I had any actual cleavage. Somehow it gives the illusion. And it always makes me smile. Just the thought of the word, cleavage. I giggle.

It’s also a good time to experiment with layers. The lace camisole that peeks out over the crew neck shirt. Or the vest you haven’t been gutsy enough to wear. Try it on over something you don’t want to wear alone. And the necklace that drops down in between.

I have a friend who has two sisters. She has the mom who knows girls and always has the best advice. She has always told us, “Put on a little lip gloss and you’ll feel better.” I thought it all went back to the theory that if you look better, you’ll feel better. That’s what the cleavage necklaces were doing for me. Or so I thought.

But I realized it goes much deeper than that.

It’s about making the decision. The conscious effort to feel confident. Beautiful. Better. The minute I decide that I am going to feel good about myself, I do. The power is in the decision.

How do you want to feel?

22 Responses to “Put On a Cleavage Necklace and Smile!”

I love how sparkly, fun things can easily transform a mood. Yesterday I bought the most outrageous pair of shoes on Zappos and while I may or may not keep them, I know I will smile when I open the box. With sequins how can you not? :)

2. Reply shannon esposito says:

This is such a good point. It is all in our head…how we feel, not really about how we look.

3. Reply Debra Kristi says:

I love those little comfort decisions. It’s nice that you know yours. I think mine is hiding under a blanket in front of the television. LOL Maybe it’s time to find a new one.  Thanks for the uplifting post Emma!

4. Reply Sonia G Medeiros says:

Amen! I love the part about feeling good being a decision. :D

5. Reply Serena Dracis says:

I am so not good at accessorizing, but I will have to give this a try. Thanks, great post!

6. Reply Pat O'Dea Rosen says:

“The power’s in the decision.” Well said. On the surface, your posts may be about an accessory or a holiday tradtion, but they’re really about tough, meaningful stuff.

7. Reply Lynette says:

Power in the decision. Perfect! Conscious decision to feel better by putting on one thing that makes you feel beautiful. For me, it’s earrings and a little lip stick. It matters to no one but me, but that’s all that matters.

8. Reply Alyssa says:

Emma-
    Love all your blog-posts. You’re writing is natural and entertaining. LOve it:)

Love that. It’s so true. Isn’t it amazing how something as fun as a necklace and a little cleavage can turn your mood right side up. Hubby always tells me to periodically wear super sexy undies to brighten my mood, which I have to say does work. Or if I whip on a fav outfit with some great accessories and hot shoes, it’s like a jolt of positivity!
    But you are right, deep down it’s the decision to not let whatever is going on around you or within you bring you down. To do something about it.
    GREAT post Emma! Love it!

I love the idea of sexy undies to make you feel better, and I really love that your hubby suggests it! What a smart guy. I like how much better I feel when wearing cute underwear, partly because no one else knows why I’m smiling. :)

10. Reply Sheila Seabrook says:

A show of cleavage will hide just about any flaw. So true, Emma! I’m laughing over this, yet sadly going thru my wardrobe and realizing I have nothing in there to hide my flaws. Time to add a low cut t-shirt to the mix!

11. Reply Louise Behiel says:

I used to show the cleavage but not any more. but a nice necklace, well placed still makes me feel good. but I have to admit, new shoes make me feel good.